Mr. Abera Hailemariam
Born on February 27, 1963, Mr. Abera Hailemariam is a devoted professional who is enthusiastic about advocating for human rights, good governance, and democracy in Ethiopia. Having worked in a range of sectors, such as human right, democracy and good governance, and peace and security studies, Mr. Abera has acquired a broad range of skills and expertise over his 30-year career. He has consistently displayed a strong commitment to transparency, accountability, and inclusivity, and he endeavors to engage with citizens and stakeholders to gain a better understanding of their needs and priorities. Mr. Abera is also a married with two children.
- Sant’ Anna University Rome: Master in Electoral Policy and Administration
- KImmage DSC, Holy Ghost College, Ireland: MA in Development Studies with first-class honors
- Addis Ababa University (AAU) Institute for Peace & Security Studies and University for Peace: Master of Arts Degree in Peace and Security Studies-achiever of the year
- Addis Ababa University Faculty of Law: LLB (Law Degree) with distinction
- Addis Ababa University Faculty of Law: Diploma in Law
- Addis Ababa University: BA Degree in Philosophy
- Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights & Humanitarian Law: Advanced program on Human Rights Course (Lund, Sweden)
- Canadian Human Rights Foundation: International Human Rights Training program (Montreal, Canada): Certificate
- International Development Law Organization: Video Conference on Improving Good Governance Through Strengthening The Local Governance between Rome, Italy, Addis Ababa Ethiopia, New Delhi, India And Abuja, Nigeria: Certificate
- Pact-Ethiopia: Monitoring & Evaluation: Certificate
- NDI: Election Observer, Nigeria-Anuja, February 22-28, 2023
- African Union: Election Observer, Zambia (Lusaka & Western Province), August 9-15, 2021
- CECOE: Executive Director, Ethiopia, beginning September 2020
- CECOE: Acting Director, Addis Ababa, since September 2020
- CECOE: Project Coordinator, Ethiopia, beginning July 2019 – August 2020
- Sub-Group for Legislatively Mandated Bar Under the auspices of Law and Justice Advisory Council: Member of the Sub-Group, since July 2018
- Ethiopian Lawyers Association: Acting Director and Coordinator, Ethiopia, since April 2014 – 2018
- University of Hargessa: Guest Lecturer, Somaliland, January – March 2014
- Union of Ethiopian Resident Charities (UERC): Manager, Ethiopia, July 2005 – August 2012
- CCRDA: Deputy convenor of the Enabling Environment Taskforce, Ethiopia, January 2008 – July 2012
- Action Professionals’ Association for the People (APAP): Co-Director, Ethiopia, November 1999 – July 6, 2004
- Action Professionals’ Association for the People (APAP): Programme Officer, Ethiopia, January 1, 1999 – Dec 31, 1999
- Ministry of Education: Instructor, Ethiopia, October 1987 – February 1998
Monographs/ books and Research Reports
- Chapter 9(Labour Law and 10 (Land Law) in the book meseretawi hig lehulum-Amharic(Basic laws for all), 2018
- Assessment on Legal , Institutional ,Knowledge and Skill Gaps of Social Courts: Operating in Adama, Assosa Bahir-Dar and Hawasa 2018
- Needs assessment Report on the State of Legal Aid Service: Assessment on Addis Ababa, Adama, Assosa, BahirDar, Hawassa , Jigjiga and Mekele(2015) Master Print.
- Public Defender’s Service in Ethiopia: Assessment of Current Gaps and the Way Forward (2015) Master Print.
- The Effect of Government Relocation Policies on Poor Households: The Case of BashaWolde Chilot,, Published by LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing (2014);
- Freedom of Association: Trials and Tribulation of Advocacy Organizations in Ethiopia, published by VDM (2011);
- Ethnic Identity and Ethnic Relations: A case study on an Ethiopian Higher Learning Institution, Published by VDM, (2010);
- Book chapter- Ethnic Identity and the Relations of Amhara, Ormo and Tigray Students at Addis Ababa University Main Campus. In An Anthology of Peace and Security Research Institute for Peace and Security Studies in collaboration with Friedrich Ebert Stiftung(2010);
- Simintegnawshi (The Eighth-Millennium and other short stories ),a collection of Amharic Short stories, September2007, Artistic Printing Press.
- The Impact of BashaWoldeChilot’s Relocation Programme on Assets Associated with Housing KimmageDevelopment Studies Centre Research and Perspectives on Development Practice Series Paper No. 20. 2017 Available from: http://kimmagedsc.ie/research-and-perspectives-on-development-practice-papers/
- The Aid and Development Debate: Reflection on Aid Effectiveness Promoting Democracy and Good Governance: the Role of Ethiopian Media and Civil Society OrganizationsVol. 3 PP 110 -123, 2016
- Foreign Funding and its Impact on NGOs’ Strategic and Operational Decision Making: Ethiopian Experience, Promoting Democracy and Good Governance: the Role of Ethiopian Media and Civil Society Organizations, Vol.2 pp. 7-27,2015
- The Implication of Charities and Societies Proclamation No.621/2009 for Freedom of Association, Journal of Ethiopian Civil Society Vol.1 PP 1-26, 2011
Research Papers/Articles (Unpublished)
- The Declining Normative Model of Masculinity- Research Paper on gender 2013;
- The Change I would like to see in gender role- Research Paper on gender 2012;
- Some thoughts on factors detrimental to countries’ development: Geography? Institution? Or both? – 2013;
- APAP’s Experiences in Capacity Building of Social Courts in the Amhara Regional State.” A paper presented on a two-day National Workshop, Organized by the Faculty of Law of Mekele University on Capacity Building for Social Courts, July 12-13, 2002.
- An overview of Human Rights Situation in Ethiopia” May, 2003 Research Paper prepared as part of the participation of the 24th International Training Program organized by the Canadian Human Rights Foundation.
Edited the Book meseretawi hig lehulum-Amharic (Basic laws for all), 2018