The Coalition of Ethiopian Civil Society Organizations for Elections (CECOE) is a coalition of over 175 civil society organizations operating in all regional states and the two city administrations. CECOE was established in 2019 with the aim of augmenting and coordinating the role of Ethiopian CSOs in election observation, monitoring, voter education, and preventing post-electoral conflicts. CECOE has a proven track record of success, having observed the 6th General Election of Ethiopia, the Sidama referendum, the South West Ethiopia Peoples’ Region referendum, the South Ethiopia referendum, and the referendum rerun in Wolaita Zone. CECOE has also been engaged in various advocacy activities, including advocating for electoral reforms, peacebuilding, and enhancing the participation of women in Ethiopian politics.
As part of the project that CECOE is implementing in partnership with the Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD) titled “Enhancing the Participation of Women in Ethiopian Politics: Balancing the Scale” which is funded by the European Union (EU), CECOE has developed training manuals and facilitators guide in English language and seeks the service of a “Translator” who will be responsible for conducting translation of the training documents to the Amharic Language. The training manuals will be used to provide a series of nationwide training to women in various sectors: Civil society, academia, political parties, media, and lower structure of government).
2. Scope of Work
- Translate written documents from English to Amharic language with accuracy, attention to detail, and maintaining the intended meaning.
- Ensure the translated content is culturally appropriate, gender-sensitive, and free from grammatical errors.
- Adapt the style and tone of the translation to the target audience while retaining the integrity of the original text.
- Provide accurate and timely translations within the agreed-upon deadlines.
2.2 Proofreading and Editing
- Review and proofread translated documents to ensure accuracy, consistency, and adherence to quality standards.
- Edit and revise translated content to improve readability and clarity.
- Collaborate with project stakeholders to address any feedback or concerns related to the translated content.
2.3 Communication and Collaboration
- Maintain effective and timely communication with project stakeholders to understand requirements, clarify any ambiguities, and provide progress updates.
- Collaborate with the project team, including subject matter experts, to ensure accurate and contextually appropriate translations.
- Translated documents (Training of Trainers Manual, Facilitators Guide, and Training Manual) in the agreed format
- Proofread and edited translations, ensuring accuracy, clarity, and adherence to project guidelines.
- Timely communication and updates on the progress of translation tasks.
4. Qualifications and Experience
- Proficiency in both the Amharic and English languages.
- Proven experience in translating documents in relevant languages
- Strong understanding of gender issues, rights, cultural nuances, and context-appropriate language use.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to maintain the integrity of the original text.
- Proficiency in translation tools and software, if applicable.
- Any relevant certifications or degrees in translation or language studies.
The project is expected to be completed within a total of 20 working days, starting from the commencement date. The following milestones and deadlines will apply:
- Translation of the Training of Trainers (ToT) Manual: Five working days
- Translation of the Facilitator Note: Five Working days
- Translation of the Training of Manual: Five working days
- Submission of Final documents: Five Working days
6. Proposal Submission
- Updated resume or CV highlighting relevant experience.
- Financial Proposal
- Consultancy license
- Samples of previous translation work
- References from previous clients, if available.
7. Payment Terms
The translator will be compensated based on a per-page rate. The specific rate will be agreed upon during the selection process and will be documented in the contract. Payment will be made according to the following terms:
- The translator will submit an invoice for the completed documents on a regular basis,
- Payment will be processed within five working days of receiving a valid invoice.
- The invoice should include a breakdown of the number of pages translated and the corresponding total amount.
The translator is expected to maintain strict confidentiality and not disclose any information related to the project or its content to any third parties.
9. Ownership of Work
Upon completion and payment, all translated documents and related materials will become the property of CECOE
10. Application deadline
October 15, 2023